Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 June 2014

The Wollaton Hall 10k race

I woke with a jolt at 6am "Good morning, welcome to Saturday" my 2 year old seemed to be saying by stamping it out in Morse code on my ribs! This was becoming one of my least favourite ways to wake. Mind you, I'm always grateful to get the chance. Today was Wollaton Hall 10k day. I'd collected my chip, bib number and bright orange race T shirt the day before from the Sytner Mini showroom as recommended in the email. It worked out well as i had a physio session at 4.45 nearby so i could pop in on the way back.


The sad news was Victoria, my brilliant Physio was finishing and moving to Cambridge, she has been amazing in teaching me how to self-treat between sessions by using a foam roller, a tennis ball and I've even had Lisa my partner use a rolling pin when its been that bit too painful and  no matter what i do i just can't bring myself to put all my weight on the area in question. Of course the rehab sessions have been amazing too, I'm not sure i would feel as good as i do now without some pretty intense appointments, I often came away sweating more from 45 minutes laying down than i have from a 5km run. Anyway its Saturday and I'm up now, I feel rough, I'm still getting over my '720 hour thing', its like '24 hour thing' just longer, I'm amazed how long a simple cold can hang about pouring glue in to my face on a nightly basis. I wouldn't normally bother before a run but i need a shower.


I was going to run from home to the start... I didn't.

This is the first organised 10k race I've done since 2010 when i entered the 10k pudding run in Heanor. Its called 'the Pudding Run' because it takes place about a month before Christmas, the route takes you past the 'Matthew Walker' Pudding Factory and you receive a Christmas Pudding at the finish. That run ends in a horrible uphill section and just before that i remember running past the turning for a few minutes before i realised my mistake. I completed that one in 1 hour and 6 mins, today i was hoping for under an hour. It was quite busy and the field near the start was full of people in orange as we were all asked to do so by the organisers, apparently Sytner were making a video of the event. I wasn't wearing mine i had donned my Hospice running vest of course. We were all treated to a safety briefing of which i heard very little of and then herded through 2 small gates, one gate after the other at the top of the field. claxon sounded and we were off.... walked a bit.... and we're off ... walked a bit more.... right that's it, I'm through the timing gates, start the watch timer and look for 5.30 minutes on the pace.
This seemed to take ages as there was reported to be around 500 runners attending. We gathered at the start and i spotted a few people i knew, we had a brief chat, i noted a few nervous bladders in the men as some dashed to the bushes on either side of the track.


Another garbled briefing and then just as we were about to set off they drove a black mini through the centre of the crowd of runners! I set the watch ready to start, I also had the chip strapped to my right shoe on the laces as instructed, The
Wollaton Hall is a fantastic setting for the run, the route involved running 2 laps and wound through the grounds nicely with a few tight sections where you had no choice but to slow down and get in single file. They certainly made good use of the inclines as there seemed more up than down and I'm not sure that's even possible. There was a great down hill section just after a tight rooty bit where the grass opened right out, as usual I threw myself down doing some of best overtaking, downhills are a great way to add speed without any extra effort and if you get it right you can improve your position and get a breather all at the same time. It threatened rain all the way round but luckily it held off, a bit of a drizzle would have been quite refreshing. The second lap I found tougher, being as it was another lot of 5k and with the off-road course and hills my legs were like pieces of string flapping about in the wind. It really made me question my fitness for the Robin Hood half marathon in September. I have got to be running more 10k's and including lots more hill work at least to be able to make it round in one piece.


As is usual with these things my watch recorded the route at less than 10k, it did that during the Erewash 5k run in May and I had to run extra when I arrived home. Luckily I spotted it as I crossed the finish so carried on the extra 0.25km to make up 10k. I may have appeared a bit of a loon as I continued up the hill after everyone else stumbled to a stop straight away and queued to have the chip removed from their shoe. I watched 10 km's click over on my watch and finally stopped running, i walked back to get my chip cut off and then walked back to the car. The mic was open and in the hand of a presenter on a small mobile stage in the next field as i hobbled passed, i unlocked the boot and pulled a full bottle of chocolate flavour recovery drink from my bag as prizes were given out. I don't recall all the winners announced except one, it was the first male over the line, his time was 32 minutes.....32 minutes?! he could have ran almost a half marathon in an hour at that pace! My legs carried me over the line in 53 minutes according to the website.... i am way too old for this crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment