Search This Blog

Monday 4 August 2014

Run 182 - Half way

2.54km, I stopped, cheered and jumped about. Half way exactly, Its all downhill from here, I hope not – that will make my quads ache.
This mini celebration took place during the Half way run event at Rushcliffe Countrypark on Sunday 27th July. That means I have completed my 182nd 5km run. I found myself running with Adam again, must be a matching pace thing and when I stopped at half way to revel he carried on running shouting “what you stopping for?” How to ruin a poignant moment!


With a couple of Facebook messages a few days before the day I was able to get around 8 runners to help me mark the 100th run and we thought the next milestone should be half way but this time we should put a bit more effort in. The venue was the first thing to consider and what better than using a place already used to runners completing a 5km run. Rushcliffe Country Park holds a parkrun every week of the year and so would be perfect. The team at the Hospice had arranged the whole thing and did a tremendous job, from setting up a simple way of registration through EventBrite to organising first aid, marshals and even cakes and refreshments. The formal registration meant that all runners had a bib number so all the finish times were recorded too, my bib number was ‘001’ I felt no pressure to finish first. The run was started at 10.30am by Michelle from the hospice and Rebecca Drysdale who is the current Miss Nottingham, (I have still to get her in trainers for a run) and around 30 of us left the start line on this very hot Sunday morning. I'm not used to running at this time of day preferring the early morning or late evening, so I was feeling the heat. I set off from the front along with my son J

osh and and Peter McConnochie a fellow runner and photographer, the last time we ran together Josh out ran us and by the way Pete set off I guessed he was not going to let that reoccur, needless to say I saw neither of them until the finish line. Pete came in with a very respectable time of 22 minutes 13 seconds and Josh was 1 minute behind him. At 12 josh has age on his side so I doubt he will be able to hold him off for very long.



Adam and I crossed the line at 25 minutes 41 seconds, one of our fastest joint runs I reckon. Everyone who ran came in looking very warm so the heat really played a part. Simon Ross and Lisa Tandy arrived ‘home’  in first and last place respectively they are Brother and sister so this felt quite fitting that they should ‘bookend’ the pack. As everyone moved to the visitors centre for refreshment I was interviewed for The Beestonian (see the article here). By Matt the editor and Mel, who works with Matt was roped in to run. Thank you to them for taking the time to come over and speak to me. While people enjoyed a cuppa and a cake there was a raffle draw for the £50 decathlon voucher, this was won by Gary Robertson. All in all is was a fantastic way to mark the half way point of the challenge because not only has it given me a real boost to continue on it has also boosted the donations as the unofficial total stands at £335, £150 of that was from runners registration and the rest was from refreshments, proving that exercise is alright… but its not as good as cake.

Thank you very much to all who help organise the event and to all those who ran and /or donated on the day, It was a great to see such support for both the challenge and the charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment