Search This Blog

Thursday 8 January 2015

Just a few days left before the big last run!

So with the final run in my sights after nearly a whole year of daily running under my belt, I sit here incredulous. I can be quite an impulsive person but the decision to complete the 5kaday challenge for Nottinghamshire Hospice was perhaps the peak of it. Have I actually ran every day for a year? Well not quite but there are only a few days left!
Having decided to complete it at the end of 2013, I sent an email to the Hospice almost within the day. The thought process being that if I don’t do that, I’ll be backing out, so the sooner everyone knew I was planning it the more official it was. I was offered lots of advice not to do it and to just try it for a week or even a month, some even topping it off by saying It couldn’t be done and I would have to have at least one day off. Well I can only say thank you so very much to those people, the doubters, because that was the switch, the push that I needed.
 Injury wise I’ve been extremely lucky although Its not been plain sailing, having moments (weeks) of pain in my legs, at times I couldn’t really walk properly or very far at least but I still ran. I have sweated more from the pain of physio sessions than some of the running and I’ve sat in more ice baths last year than hot ones. It was a 5kaday a challenge but I’ve completed 10k’s, 15k’s a half marathon, and lots of various distances in between. I’ve ran in the morning, daytime, evening, the dead of night, sometimes only just getting finished with minutes to spare before midnight only to watch the clock tick over to the next day and then run back. I’ve ran in wind, rain, snow, ice, hail, midday summer sun, thunder storms never one running on a treadmill indoors. Most of my routes have been in and around the Nottingham area; Stapleford, Bramcote, Ilkeston, Beeston, West Bridgford, Toton, even a few run s through the city centre.
 I have had some fantastic opportunities along the way like being a guest on BBC radio Nottingham’s Morning show a few times with Mark Dennison, even running with one of the show’s producers. Not only that but runs have taken place with TSB, the FA at St Georges Park we organised a 100th run and  a half way run.  I have met some amazing folk along the way too, I can’t put in to words just how much support I have had, people have really got behind this and for that I am truly grateful. I seem to have inspired a few of you to get out there too and that is incredible.
 I’ve entered some organised events along the way to make it a little more interesting like; The Erewash 5k, the Wollaton Hall 10k, The Robin Hood Half marathon and the Matthew walker 10k where you are handed a giant Christmas Pudding as you cross the line. I’ve run a few parkruns at Rushcliffe country park and joined Nottingham’s Sweatshop Running community. Often finding myself included in the regular newsletter.
 There are a handful of people that have really gone the extra mile (pun alert) and have agreed willingly to turn up to all sorts of stuff, from general weekly runs with me or late night runs over Christmas, the 100th and half way events. Thank you to all those people, because it turns out that running with others is what it’s all about. Running alone is when I come up with my best and sometimes worst ideas, but running with company brings out the best conversations and a lot of the world’s issues have been fixed at these times.
 My body currently fits well in sizes of clothing I haven’t been anywhere near since I was in my early 20s, due to that fact that I’m 3 stone lighter. Unfortunately I can now shop in 'Topman' because I’m the right shape, I say “unfortunately” because now I fear I’m too old to do so.
 Lots planned for 2015 and although I’m not on the charity push as I have been in 2014, all the events I’m going to be taking part in will be benefitting the Hospice, so expect the odd reminder on face book.
 When first taking the challenge on I was running a 5k in about 28 minutes and the fastest I have completed the same distance as of now is 23 minutes 23 seconds, a big improvement. While on the subject of times, my 10k time is under 50 minutes and I managed to limp round the Robin Hood Half Marathon in September in under 2 hours, that’s a 40 minute improvement on the only other 13.1 miles I have ever completed.
 The final run is going to be a half marathon distance from my house in Stapleford to the Hospice premises in Nottingham and will be taking place on Monday 26th January. Setting off at 9.30 am you can follow my progress on my Facebook page as I will be sharing photos as I go and also more excitingly BBC Radio Nottingham will be checking in with me as I wind my way in to town.
 This won’t be the last blog so I will be summing up a bit better after the 26th Jan, but I thought I would make an effort to put you all in the picture beforehand.
I am still £1000 from my target of £5000 ( I dropped it from £10,000) so there is still lots of time to donate at www.justgiving.com/5kaday
 
See you on the other side!

1 comment:

  1. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :majidvijahlending@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete