Search This Blog

Monday 3 February 2014

5k a day for a year - week1

The first week of running the 5k a day challenge is now complete. Thank you to my guest runners so far, Steve Corry (ran the first trial run from the hospice to the CornerHouse with me, my son Joshua Wallis for beating me home on Saturday! A 30 minute 5k and only 11. Thanks also to Adam Patrick for going the extra 1k yesterday due to me accidently pausing endomondo at 4k, we had to run 6k just to make sure that it recorded a 5k run!


Run 1 – Started at the Hospice on Woodborough Rd in Nottingham at 2pm on Monday 27th January 2014 and ended at the CornerHouse, taking in the sights of Nottingham on the way. I ran passed Capital FM arena, up passed Nottingham Castle as I ran up Maid Marion Way. Then a quick jog passed the Theatre Royal to the entrance of the CornerHouse. Photos were taken at the hospice before I left, as well as an interview for the post and I was greeted at the end by CornerHouse Staff. Oh and not to mention a free drink in the Slug and Lettuce. It rained very hard and at one point I even ended up with brain freeze from the hail on my head!



Run 2 – Was a 6.30am start around Stapleford. I always dislike these as I’m up and out and at times I’m hardly awake before I hit the street. I got back and lost my gloves!

Run 3 – This was an evening run and man was it dark. I chose to run along the Nottingham Canal as you can see I couldn’t see the path. Head torch ordered that night.


Run 4 – was another early one… still no gloves. I really have searched the entire house now.

Run 5 – You will be pleased to know that the gloves have been found and were in a bra! Not whilst being worn I might add. This run was freezing and was in driving rain at about 9.30pm. I stuck 2 fingers up at it though and ran 8k… that’ll show it! nice tree shadow photo taken on this run.


Run 6 And 7 – were Saturday and Sunday runs both with my son Josh (11) on saturday and Adam on Sunday, both morning runs were in daylight and sun. A lovely change from the weeks wind, rain and darkness.

Me chasing Josh


I worked till 1am on Sunday morning at a corporate party at Colwick Hall, I really felt tired and could quite easily have just slept in the corner. Not the best idea as I was asked there to photograph it!

All in all a great start, no panics to fit it in, no injury or pain and a good amount of money raised so far so thank you to all that have taken the time and trouble to donate.
We also met at the hospice on Friday with guys from TheNotts FA, some exciting things to come maybe, look out for more info on this later.

Tee shirts
Idiot not included
I am now selling ‘KEEP CALM AND RUN 5K A DAY’ tee shirts. They are £15 and £5 goes straight to the Hospice. Get in touch with me direct if you would like one: info@andywallisphotography.co.uk

Thanks for the support from everyone this week, I’m sure it’s going to get tougher so the more you donate and send messages of support the easier it will be. If anyone would like to join me for a run, all you have to do is donate and you’re in.

To find out more about what the hospice do and why your money is so needed, please go to www.nottshospice.org
To donate to my challange, click on a link to right, or go to www.justgiving.com/5kaday
To browse through my run history calendar on endomondo use this link http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/user/13040505

Follow my progress on twitter @aw_photo_nottm or @nottshospice and use the hashtag #5kadaynh
You can also catch up with it all on facebook.


Just 51 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment