Search This Blog

Thursday 15 May 2014

What a morning for a run

The weather during today’s morning run was amazing.  I woke feeling groggy as usual, but as I peeped out of the curtains I was greeted by the clearest and bluest sky id seen in ages. I rushed to get ready, for some reason I was a couple of pairs of shorts down, but no matter I did eventually find something. I stepped out the door feeling old as I often do on a morning run, but by the time I was at the end of the street all felt well. This had to have something to do with the weather, but physiological or not I wasn’t about to question it. As the first junction approached so did the questions; left or right, hills or flat, trail or road, long, short, fast or slow? 


Within a few seconds I had a plan; left, hills, trail, short, slow. The temperature felt perfect, there was no breeze and above all hardly anyone around except the odd dog walker. A brilliant day for a run. I have been thinking that as I’m now going to be running the  Ikano Robin Hood half Marathon on 28th September I need to add more hill work in on a regular basis. 



The first time I tried a half marathon in 2010 I failed, because in my eyes some of the hills were draining my legs way too early. The organisers have made it a flatter course now but there is nothing like a few good hills here and there to put you in good stead for a long distance run. This run around The Hemlock Stone and up in the heights of Bramcote Hills Park was perfect as not only was it littered with hilliness it was off road and took in various flights of steps too.



 I stopped to get a few photos as I went along as I just couldn’t resist the lovely blues and greens of my surroundings. I took on this challenge for Nottinghamshire Hospice because I felt that when I donate my time as an event photographer, I enjoy it so much, it always feels like cheating. Of course there have been rough times and difficult runs up to now, however on days like this I was in my element. Here’s to more days like this as we drift in to summer. Great weather days really lift our mood, I can only imagine what a day like today would do for me if i were in the last 12 months of  life like patients using the hospice facilities. Our time here is short, with or without life limiting illness. Nottinghamshire hospice are currently renovating their gardens to make the area more patient friendly, so more people with less time can enjoy what they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment